“What Home Means to Me” Poster Contest
Due Friday March 16th
Mail Posters to Dana Hiltunen at 442 Pine Mill Court, Virginia, MN 55792
Previous Grand Prize Winners
Be sure to track all of your submissions by age group so that we can collect accurate data.
Poster Specifications & Entry Rules:
- Theme - "What Home Means to Me"
- Size – All posters must be 22” x 28” to be considered for judging.
- Media - Contestant may use any art media (marker, crayon, paint, collage, textiles, etc.), but please consider that posters will need to be packaged, mailed and reproduced.
- All entries must be mailed flat.
- All contestants must sign a release making their entry the property of NAHRO and permitting duplication/publication thereof. The release should be secured to the back of the entry.
- All contestants are asked to provide a short narrative on the inspiration, vision and importance of their poster design. The narrative should be secured on the back of the entry
- Contestants name, grade level and housing authority must be written on the back of the each poster entry in addition to being listed on the release form also attached to the entry.
- NAHRO is only responsible for returning the original poster to the national grand prize winner. NAHRO is not responsible for returning poster, unless otherwise contacted by October 1.
Eligibility and Selection Categories:
Contest participation is open to all children residing in affordable housing assisted directly or supported under community development and affordable housing programs administered by a NAHRO member authority (i.e., public or Section 8-assisted housing CDBG, HOME, LIHTC).
Submission must be created by only one person. Entries created by two or more people will not be accepted.
Elementary - K to 5th grade
Middle - 6th to 8th grade
High – 9th to 12th grade
Local Chapter/State and Regional Council Competitions:
Housing authorities submitting entries to the national poster contest must first send entries to its local/state NAHRO chapter. Local/state NAHRO chapters are encouraged to host their own poster contests and submit the winning posters from each age category to their regional council. Local/state chapter contests are optional. Each regional council will determine a deadline for poster contest entries and a date for regional judging. National NAHRO is not involved in the scheduling or conduct of regional council contests. The regional council will select three winners–one from each age category–and forward those on to the national competition in Washington, D.C. National NAHRO will not accept submissions from individual housing authorities. Any submissions sent directly to national NAHRO will be disqualified.
MN NAHRO will select three honorees in each category for submission to NCRC NAHRO.
NCRC will then select 1 entry per age category to be submitted for national competition.
National honorees will be selected by a Blue Ribbon panel of judges to be assembled by National NAHRO staff. National honorees will be officially announced during Housing America Month in October. All eight NAHRO regions will be represented in the calendar.
The 12 national winners will each receive a $100 Visa gift card. The national grand prize winner will be awarded an iPad. The grand prize winner and one member of his or her family will also be provided with transportation to and from and lodging at NAHRO’s Washington Conference in Washington, D.C. where he or she will be honored. The grand prize winner will also receive a framed copy of their original artwork and will tour Capitol Hill.