open until filled
SWMHP is currently seeking a dynamic and innovative leader for their next CEO. This is an incredible opportunity to guide the future direction of SWMHP, following the retirement of their long-time founder, and legacy leader.
Reporting to the Board, the SWMHP CEO is responsible for the overall strategic, operational, and financial management of all entities of the organization. The CEO will serve as a visionary leader, and will adapt and refine the future strategic plan to stay current and continue to meet the needs of the communities in Southern Minnesota. This new CEO will act as a catalyst for change, capitalizing on innovation underway, and utilizing the positive energy and momentum of the staff to propel the organization forward. They will play a key role in developing and mentoring staff, ensuring the correct organizational structure is in place, ensuring staff are working toward consistent outcomes. The board anticipates that in the first year, the new CEO’s time will be equally split internally and externally. The CEO will have total leadership responsibility of 26 staff, split between the Mankato and Slayton locations.
Strategy & Vision
- Develop and maintain a strategic planning process that clearly communicates the priorities of the organization’s mission, goals and objectives, ensures that the strategic priorities are implemented as adopted.
- Provide for future development and growth of the organization that is consistent with and in alignment with mission, goals and objectives and conform to customer need.
Management, Finance & Operations
- Responsible for financial planning and budgeting consistent with the board’s goals, priorities, strategic plan.
- Lead and develop SWMHP’s staff through organizational structuring planning, assigning accountability, training, and effective communication.
- Proactively develop staff skills through coaching/mentoring, training, and special projects.
- Administer the day-to-day operations of the SWMHP organization.
- Create, monitor, and report against the annual budget while maintaining sound fiscal processes
- Evaluate financial trends, assesses internal opportunities and risk in relationship to the financial position of the organization in order to effectively compete for capital, manage financial resources and adopt best in class financial processes.
- Work with the existing SWMHP development team to identify, prioritize, and structure new multifamily projects to ensure future revenue goals are met.
- Collaborate with the Board, Executive Committee, and staff to build SWMHP’s strategic direction.
- Identify, recruit and nurture future Board participation and leadership.
- Ensure the achievement of the Board’s long-range goals and initiatives.
- Report information required to enable the board to act with appropriate fiduciary responsibility.
- Provide leadership and foster a team culture consistent with SWMHP’s values.
- Continue to build a culture of trust and collaboration, breaking down silos and ensuring staff are working collectively toward common goals.
- Capitalize and build on the existing momentum and collaboration around innovative approaches to community development.
- Prioritize existing and new work for the organization to ensure work life balance.
National External Relations & Governmental Affairs
- Communicate the organization’s position to public and private agencies, individuals and the news media and represents the organization in meetings of local, state and national organizations and governments.
- Lead and manage all government and public relations activities.
- Nurture relationships with representatives of local, regional and state government and other organizations both public and private.
- Direct and collaborate the organizations legislative lobbyist efforts to represent appropriate community development interests.
- Act as a national thought leader on community development best practices.
Regional and Local Thought Leadership and Relationship Management
- Build and maintain strong relationships in the region with industry-related stakeholders.
- Foster and develop future, innovative partnerships in the region.
- Act as regional thought leader on community development best practices, championing the rural communities SWMHP supports.
Limited Partnerships and Subsidiaries
- Manage all affiliated and subsidiary organizations and ensure that all activities are in conformance with applicable law, regulations and appropriate business principals.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Proven organizational leadership experience as CEO or relevant role.
- Proven experience actively mentoring and developing staff.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning, and establishing an organizations vision for future growth, while managing current organizational capacity.
- Prior experience with earned income or joint venture components.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Adept at board governance.
- Experience leading organizations through change.
- Local or national expertise in housing and/or community development.
- Working knowledge of housing and community development, including the MN Housing Credit projects & technology.
- Proven experience with complex real estate development transactions, ideally in a rural setting.
- Experience with USDA Rural Development programs and requirements.
- Passionate about acting as the voice and advocate of the communities of Southern Minnesota, as well as nationally.
- Politically astute in community building; equipped to build trusting partnerships across race and socioeconomic divisions.
- Strong ability to advocate on behalf of rural and affordable housing initiatives
- Willing and able to take risks.
- Proven experience establishing strong external relationships across varied constituencies.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration or related field required. Related master’s degree preferred.
- It is preferred that candidates have a minimum of 7-10 years of industry experience in public or business administration, housing and community development or not-for-profit environment with 7-10 years leadership experience.
Location & Work Arrangement
- This CEO will be co-located at the Slayton, MN and Mankato, MN offices.
- In addition, local and national travel will be required frequently.
For more information or to send your credentials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org All inquiries will remain confidential.