Minnesota Housing is hiring! We are seeking a candidate with strong technical multifamily underwriting skills and demonstrated leadership experience to lead the Preservation team. You’ll be providing supervision to a team of 4-5 employees who are responsible for overseeing preservation efforts at the Agency. You’ll also mentor the underwriting staff on preservation principles.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with a great team of professionals as well as collaborating with other Agency teams that all work towards the goal of preserving affordable housing for Minnesotans. You’ll work closely with the rest of the management team for the Production department, and collaborate with Supportive Housing, Asset Management, PBCA, Business Development, and Operations.
Essential Job Duties
- Supervise a team of 4-5 employees. This involves providing guidance, leadership, communication, support and resources to the team, and assisting staff with underwriting questions and issues.
- Lead weekly Request for Action team meetings, including collaborating with staff on problem-solving and reviewing reports.
- Collaborate with the team on program design, delivery, application review, and funding recommendations for the Publicly Owned Housing Program (POHP) and the Rental Rehabilitation Deferred Loan Program (RRDL).
- Develop and refine preservation scoring criteria for Agency funding.
- Oversee preservation pre-application process for the annual RFP cycle.
- Assist owners and buyers with preservation funding strategies.
- Advise Agency staff as the subject-matter expert on the continuum of preservation and related issues (such as naturally occurring, public housing/RAD, HTC, Section 8, Rural Development tribal, etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership ability is a must. To meet this qualification, you should have at least one year of experience as a supervisor, manager, team lead, or other informal leadership role.
- 5 years of underwriting experience in the affordable housing industry, which should include working knowledge of deferred funding, tax credits, HOME funds and first mortgage loan products. This is a must in order to oversee the technical aspects of this position (A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, housing, economics, real estate or related field may substitute for one year of experience).
- An in-depth understanding of affordable housing real estate transactions, lending, policy and program administration.
- Experience in interpreting and working with legal documents, including loan agreements and limited partnership agreements.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and bring a problem solving approach to a wide variety of tasks.
- Ability to lead both strategically as well as master the details of a wide variety of transactions.
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, planning, real estate or a related field.
- Experience or expertise with Section 8 renewals or Rural Development preservation strategies.
Annual Salary Range
$ 74,980 - $107,344
This position requires successful completion of the following:
- Reference Checks.
- Criminal Background Checks.
Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small tools. A certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
External candidates should click here to apply or copy and paste this text into your browser: https://careers.mn.gov/psp/hcm92apc/MNCAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1001&JobOpeningId=29148&PostingSeq=1&languageCd=ENG
Internal candidates should go to Employee Self Service > Careers and search for Job ID 29148
Why Choose Minnesota Housing?
Our culture consists of passionate, mission-driven employees focused on delivering the best programs possible to help Minnesotans access safe, affordable housing. We invest in our employees’ futures by providing a variety of professional development opportunities. We’re committed to providing employees with work-life balance by offering many work schedule options, flexible schedules and limited overtime. That’s why our average employee tenure is 11 years.
At Minnesota Housing, we know that affordable housing is an essential part of Minnesota’s infrastructure. When you work here, you’re helping to build stronger communities. We also have a national reputation as one of the finest housing finance agencies in the country.
Our top notch benefits include extremely inexpensive health insurance for employees and dependents, generous vacation and sick leave plans, eleven holidays per year, and tuition assistance. We offer a defined benefit pension plan with a guaranteed, life-long benefit based on tenure plus pre-tax and ROTH options to supplement the pension. For more information, visit our website at www.mnhousing.gov.
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer
This information can be made available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling (651) 259.3637 or (651) 282.2699 (TTY).