This two-day training is essential for hearing officers, members of hearing panels, managers who represent the PHA in hearings, and policy analysts. The training is packed with information, covering all aspects of public housing and Housing Choice Voucher hearings. After getting grounded in the regulations, participants will then examine the PHA policies and grievance procedures that determine how regulations are implemented at the PHA. The seminar will walk participants through coordinating and conducting orderly and fact-based hearings. Commonly heard issues, working with advocacy groups, the 504 coordinator and reasonable accommodation issues will be addressed. This training comes with hands-on practice, where in small groups and individually, participants will read cases and make decisions, citing appropriate regulations and PHA policies. The seminar comes complete with an optional certification examination. Updated for HOTMA!
Mininum Training Attendance: Minnesota NAHRO reserves the right to cancel a training at any time if there are insufficient numbers signed up to meet the minimum threshold. If a training is cancelled by Minnesota NAHRO, your registration fee will be refunded or credited in full. Minnesota NAHRO is not responsible for airfare, lodging or other related expenses.
Upon completion of the Hearing Officer Workshop, you should have developed and mastered the skills needed to conduct hearings and write decisions with hands-on case studies and best-practice strategies.
- Apply critical thinking skills to the facts of the case in order to integrate HUD regulations and guidance into the PHA's policies and procedures to make reasoned decisions
- Recognize the elements of cohesive and comprehensive hearing and grievance procedures
- Identify how and when to work with the PHA's 504 coordinator, Legal Aid, and advocacy groups
- Conduct orderly appeals and hearings
- Practice making and writing hearing decisions, with appropriate citations, first in a group and then individually
- Recognize housing choice voucher regulations for informal reviews for applicants and informal hearings for participants
- Identify public housing regulations for informal hearing for applicants and grievance hearing for tenants
This training is $695 and includes full conference attendance. There is also an option to just take the exam only for $150.
Mininum Training Classsize: Minnesota NAHRO reserves the right to cancel a training at any time if there are insufficient numbers signed up to meet the minimum threshold. If a training is cancelled by Minnesota NAHRO, your registration fee will be refunded or credited in full. Be sure to register early so we can be sure of our attendance sooner rather than later. We will confirm with you via email when the registration threshold is met.